semua komen terdahulu telah ghaib di alam siber, dengan ghaibnya servis 'blogextra' yang digunapakai dahulunya
BEST VIEW WITH MOZILLA FIREFOX. Get it here

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Couture

When I was a little boy, I grew up among elder girls (2 elder sisters and 3 elder cousins next door). Hence, I was generally sucked into their world. Yes, I played 'menjual', skip and the rest. Though myself and a year older male cousin next door did do boys stuff, but because we were surrounded by girls, their stuff simply became much more dominant... and of course, the more the merrier.

When the girls were busy pounding the inai leaves and afterwards wrapped their fingers and slept so ever consciously, I followed suit. When the time came for them to get those subang kepit, I put on a pair as well. As for ring, I got my very own custom made silverware with green zamrud when I started school... and from that age of 7, I've always wear rings (I've 3 rings at the mo).

I even learned to knit. We initially practiced with raffia strings before confident enough to use those colourful yarns. Then I learned how to sew. I still remember the day when together with my eldest sis, we tried to make some patterns on Mama's electric sewing machine; we did manage finally, after a few needles got sacrificed. I even learned to do tulang belut on baju kurung (Sadly, I have lost this skill/knowledge since decades ago, the only thing I can recall is, there are 2 types, one is longer/more complex than the other) . Then, we progressed into sulaman. Oh man, that was really tedious.... but I did complete the job; a dual-colour sulaman of my name on a little pillowcase.

And all these were between running around with guns and bombs enacting Combat episodes trying to be Vic Morrow and Rick Jason, as well as jumping down from the top of the stairs as Hayata turned into Ultraman and Tempe Asuka heroically defeated the beast.

A few nights ago, I watched a tv programme about the 80's and couldn't help smiling. I remember those New Wave days very well... the years of Duran-Duran when I donned side parted hair style covering one eye with hanging black trousers, white socks and black shoes. Then, in the UK especially, it was consider trendy for guys to put on make up and wear accessories. No, I didn't abused myself with cheek puffs but I did put celak mekah on my eyes and started to wear brooch. As we all know, the position on top of one's school shirt left pocket is always reserved for the school batch, my handmade authentic Kelantan silvercraft little brooch (either wau bulan or butterfly) went on my right collar. Some might probably laughed at my back but one or two guys did follow suit. And I was indeed proud to put on display an exquisite handicraft from my Tanah Serendah Sekebun Bunga.

Actually, of late, with my body continuously deforming itself with all sorts of bulges everywhere, I am seriously thinking of learning how to make my own garments. My mother-in-law gave me a brand new sewing machine a couple of years ago, but so far it has been rarely used. So far, it was only to trim the length of trousers or mending bits and bobs... nothing much.

The truth is, ready made trousers are either too long and baggy or too short and tight if they were to fit my ever expanding waistline. I told my wife, if I were to enrol into tailoring/dressmaking course at our local adult college, I think I might be the only guy.... and certainly it would be: "Excuse me sir, I think you're in a wrong class" on the very first session. Nevertheless, a few minutes ago, I just browsed into Amazon for shirt/trousers/dressmaking books.

Should I ?
Maybe I could start my own label..... R-toke [belum apa-apa, angan-angan tinggi]

Comments: Post a Comment